Friday, July 17, 2015

The phone was ringing! Wasn't it...?

It was a pleasant spring day, after school when I was in high school. I was sitting enjoying some time listening to my mother in the kitchen making supper as I was doing my howmework. 

There was only the sound of the sizzling pot full of food and the delicious aromas of said food wafting over the counter, which was the only barrier between my mother in the kitchen and myself who was sitting in the dinning room table.

There was peace. There was calm. There was suddenly...

"GET THE PHONE NOW!!!!" 

... my mother screaming at me from six feet away. 
Adrenaline immediately coursed through my body as I threw aside the chair that was in my way. It ricocheted off my shins making me tumble over it, and fall to he floor. I scrambled up and over it and threw myself at the counter directly in front of her, then lunged for the phone knocking it over and then shakily managing to grab a hold of it and then lifted it up to her face. 
It had been standing upright, innocently, not even a foot away from her. 
I stared at her in frantic alarm holding the phone out and she stood there blinking in confusion, right before bursting into a bout of hysterical laughter! 

All I could make out in between her chortles were that she had thought she heard the phone ringing. At the time all the kids had a really bad habit for leaving the phone up to mom when it rang, whether she was busy or not. 
So she thought she'd heard the phone and no one was getting it. So naturally that justifies her shrieking at me from five feet away, to hand her something that was right in front of her the whole time.

But still... the sudden change going from quiet to sudden angry bellowing echoing off the windows and kitchen walls... I'll have you know... that scared the CRAP out of me!!! Luckily we get along and to this day we still laugh in stitches about it. ;)

Mom... you're the best! All of my favorite memories revolve around you... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment