Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The fun of cheap!

Okay so lately my very "indie" friends have been slowly converting me to their ways. It is so hard to fight trends and be yourself, in an ever growingly facetious world. And I mean that with the utmost respect. 

It's true though, people are on a steadily growing trend of trying to be others. Whether it's celebrities, or people they know. Heck, even supermodels can't be themselves. I have learned through a second hand experience hearing accounts vicariously of someone whose daughter was in that industry. They can't eat what they want, and even when they look the way they want to, editing is still done to "touch up" their photos. 

But us commoners, who can't live that life of luxury and catering to beauty have no other choice than to follow the crowd, and buy what is trending.

So what does that have to do with my indie friends? Well they are a brother, his wife, and his sister ; and what started as a love for "different" and "original" music turned into the birth of their very "Indie" and loveable  personalities and way of life.

I have known them since we three were 9, 11, and 14. They are my family as much as they are friends and I love all three of them as such.
I have watched this transition of their indie lifestyle over the years. It started with the small differences; such as their taste in music, then how they dressed, but most importantly their self sustaining happiness.

It's not that indie is a way of life or a way of "the universe". I read today somewhere that "the Indie style isn't so much about skinny jeans as it is about being eco friendly, self sufficient, and learning to be comfortable in your own skin". 

This is totally true, they have a unique style all their own and they own themselves in a way that I am inspired to learn. I am between them in age and they are all role models to me. I want to have that laid back happiness that they have of being happy and most importantly their frugal charm. 

I am quite new to their ways, but they have slowly won me over to loving their style in music, fashion, and dare I say it (again) their easy happiness.
It is rather charming. 
So I hit up Pinterest and find a ton of stuff. Channeling the inspiration of that "Indie" and eco friendly  frame of mind; I needed up in a super inspiring area of Pinterest.
Re-purposing your own clothes! 
How AWESOME would it be to be your fashion designer?! I always seem to be behind trends' seasons and want what is no longer the new in fashion. But I like what I like ( which is another thing that Indie's are about) and it's never available. But Pinterest had a ton of stuff on how to make both from scratch and from scraps, those very things! 
Why spend between $20- $100 on things I can do for free?  I am admittedly really bad at over spending, so it is time to follow some easy-as-pie Pinterest tutorials, hit up the thrift stores and do it myself. 

I may be new to the indie style/ mind frame but I am excited to finally embrace my inner creativity in a whole new way that will be rewarding. And hopefully learn a thing or two on the way. 

Don't be afraid to be yourself, there is no one else better to be, and if you happen to love trends then good for you. Do whatever makes you happy. 

Besides do you have any idea how hard it is for Mormon girls to find modest and cute clothes now of days. 
It's time to blow off the dust from my sewing machine! 
And being a shorty in this tall-person world, I already know how to hem my own pants, so I'd say I have a fighting chance. 
;) 


1 comment:

  1. I expect to see photo fashion shows of these amazing new fashion pieces.

    ReplyDelete